Sunday, October 16, 2011

Book Lady

Peanut also digs books.

She is not as patient as she once was, but even when she is most fussy she will usually calm down when you sit her in your lap and open a book. She is a very good page turner (though without some page lifting assistance the result can occasionally cut a story down from 15 pages to 3), and when she is left on her own she will occasionally start to read the book to herself out loud. (At least that is what I assume she is doing even though "brah dah doo dah doo zwoop bah" is not officially part of any of our stories, not even the Dr. Seuss ones.)

Because of this love of books, and because we got a hand-me-down spice rack from Alice Winters when she retired, we decided to put a bookshelf down at legume level so that she could choose her own adventure, if you will. 

Broadly, I still support this decision.

You, however, have already figured out the flaw in our plan.

The only thing that may rival Peanut's love of books is her love of gravity's effects on books. There is nothing that makes a day brighter than pulling abso-loving everything off of her little bookshelf and making a pile on the floor. There are days this humors me, and there are days that...well, not so much. 

I can only imagine that she too has times when she thinks, "Silly Mama, putting those books back up again. Jijiji (Spanish hee, hee), I will just take them off for her again." 

  


While other times something more like, "Eche! (Let's just call that dagnabbit...) What the? Again with the books on the shelf woman?"

Still, a book lady wants what a book lady wants, and at the end of the day a book mama still wants to let her have it. So we read together - from one book or from many all at one time. And I love it. I can't say I would not have it any other way because let's be clear I would have most of the books stay on that shelf most of the time, but I'm sure my mama will tell you it was not always so...and we all survived. So gravity, shmavity for now. When she's a little older, we'll talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment