So we all just shared our first family cold. I suppose it is nice to have that milestone behind us, but I would have preferred to keep it at bay until Nora was a little older...or until our pediatrician was back from traveling in Buenos Aires...or until we were actually in Barranquilla instead of traveling in Medellín...but whatever. It is over now, gracias a Dios. Not everyone is so lucky.
My friend Kelly has a friend whose son had the same due date as Peanut. He was born earlier but with no problems and life was good for a while. Somehow he contracted an intestinal virus and became very, very ill. He was hospitalized and even died and was resuscitated. He is still alive (last I knew), but has a hard road of recovery to travel as his intestines heal outside his body.
His parents have to be a wreck. I stayed up for 3 hours watching Peanut sleep after she stopped breathing for a moment because her nose was stopped up. We knew where the cold came from (thanks Papi...), and we were still anxious because we didn't know how it was going to affect a 2 month old baby. Every time she coughed she sounded like she was breaking her lungs, and I just wanted to squeeze her tight and make it all better. I can't imagine having to feel all that through glass in the ICU. I have been praying for Berend and his parents every day.
As for us, Richard and I are still coughing and a little snot-filled, but Peanut is all better. They bounce back fast everyone says. For Berend's sake, I really hope so.
No me gusta. ;(
ReplyDeletePraying for Kelly and partner, Berend, and the 3 of you. xoxo