Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fun with Numbers

Nothing to do with numbers
We are in the great wide world of counting now. Peanut can recognize a few numbers  - 1, 2, and 8. (Please do not imagine that I can explain why those three.) Every once in a while she will blurt out one of the numbers that she knows, and you better look sharp to see where it came from because it is likely not a random vocabulary spurt but rather on the window of your taxi, part of the design on your Dickey's barbecue cup, or part of the scripture reference on your fabulous living room art. These numbers, my friends, are everywhere.

So in a double homage to numbers and the Nutter, I give you the following completely randomly numbered list:

4. I get a kick out of the imaginative number sequences as we go down the stairs, or poke on the computer. Linear is just so...tired. Who doesn't need a little 2,3,4,2,5,2! in their lives? And even better if it is in Spanglish so it can come out dos, tres, cuatro, dos, five, two! 

9. Then there is the fact that 5, in Spanish at least, is now intimately tied to a particular song in which a clown finds he is allergic to his nose paint after CIN-CO MI-NU-TOS, thus requiring that every time the number 5 is said a bellowing CIN-CO MI-NU-TOS comes from the (you guessed it) Peanut gallery.

2. It is likely that when YOU count, you begin with one. Peanut, on the other hand, mostly begins with two. I don't know if it is because I usually get us started, thus clearly reserving the number one to me, or what, but it is very funny to hear a vehement "2,3,4!" before the little one throws herself down the slide.

5. MI-NU-TOS

Welcome to our world.



No comments:

Post a Comment