I am officially no longer worried about Peanut's weight gain.
For the first 7 1/2 months I had a pretty low-key belly. Through at least 6 1/2 months it often depended on what I was wearing as to whether folks even thought I had anything going on around there or not. This was not good news for bus rides, but otherwise I just took it as par for the course for me. I was a little worried because all the books say that you should gain around 25 lbs over the course of your pregnancy (more or less, of course), and they spoke of 2 lbs a month (with extra toward the end).
I recognize now that this was perhaps a mere mathematical trick, trying to make it seem like there was a logical progression to this whole pregnancy gig. Still, I was nervous because having started out at about 62 kg, I was only at 68 kg even just two weeks ago. I must say that until I was all preoccupied with my weight gain, kilograms had virtually no meaning to me. All I knew is that everything sounds heavier in kilos, no matter what. I now know that a kg is approximately 2.2 lbs, so having gained only 6 of them for a whopping 13 pounds in basically 8 months was a little unnerving. After all, how was I going to be anywhere near 25 recommended pounds in just another month?
Well, Peanut has the last laugh.

Yay! That was the pattern with my first pregnancy as well. I tried my darnest to gain more weight throughout the pregnancy but it just wouldn't happen. During the last month my appetite went down considerably... but I noticed the fat and pounds starting to accumulate anyway! I think it's normal for a lot of the weight gain to take place at the end but it sure was a big jump! (Much better than the second time when I felt like a beached whale starting at week 7.)
ReplyDelete